The TLN operates in according to a set of 10 core beliefs:
- Education is a social good with the power to transform the lives of individuals and communities. It has a value beyond test data or economic prosperity.
- We believe relationships are the foundation of education.
- We respect high quality, academic peer reviewed research as central to education and professional development.
- We believe teaching is one of the most valuable of all human endeavours.
- We believe that teaching is one of the most complex of human endeavours.
- We believe that teaching is leading and all teachers have a responsibility to exercise education leadership.
- We believe that teachers are the experts in teaching and should be involved in teaching one another.
- We seek to contribute to creating workplaces that support the dignity of all those accessing them.
- We believe that education is a communal pursuit and education centres should be engaged with their community.
- We actively support the role of unions in making a positive contribution to the teaching profession and the education debate